BlackBox Motion Control System
Welcome to the future in CNC machine control. Our all-in-one plug and play OpenBuilds BlackBox Motion Control System is revolutionizing CNC.
CNC Routers, Plasma Cutters, Laser Cutters or any other CNC Machine – the BlackBox will handle the job thanks to its multiple connection options. The OpenBuilds Xtension Wiring EcoSystem makes it super easy to connect with any tool head without comprising on security thanks to our multiple limit switches.
What is Included
- (1) Muscle Board (4X Stepper Drivers) Slave Axis configurable as a slave X, Y or Z
- (1) Brains Board (CPU)
- (6) BlackBox Panels
- (1) 60mm 24v Cooling Fan
- (2) Cooling Heatsinks for Drivers
- (1) Switch Cap
- Xtension Connectors
- Assembly Hardware Set
- Pair with a Genuine MeanWell Power Supply to ensure proper voltage is applied at all times.
- 10 Amp Input Power Fuse
- Configurable Relay for generic use cases (Plasma trigger, Coolant Pumps, Spindle control, etc )
- Door Interlock signal connector to allow machines with enclosures to pause/resume when the door opens/closes
- 4X High Powered 4.0A (peak) Stepper Drivers
- Auxiliary Serial Input for alternative connectivity expansion
- USB Interface for Plug and Play
- Up to 24v 5A switched output for coolant devices such as 24v DC pumps, solenoids, contactors, or Solid State Relays
- Input Power Polarity protection with indicator LED
- 5v PWM and 5v Direction Spindle Signals
- VFD Spindle Support (0-10v)
- Plug and Play easy connectors that work directly with the OpenBuilds Xtension wiring ecosystem
- 3 x Endstop inputs with optional power output (Selectable 5v/24v) for use with mechanical or powered
switches such as Inductive sensor
- Endstop inputs are protected against high voltages to allow for use of 24v Inductive Sensors
- XYZ Probe input
- Slave Axis configurable as a slave X, Y or Z
- Up to 1/32 Micro stepping (Defaulted to 1/8 for higher Torque)
- Easily reachable Current Adjustment Potentiometers
- Power Switch (no more reaching for the power strip or unplugging)
- Built in cooling solution/through airflow design
- Powered by ATmega328p 8 bit Microcontroller running Grbl 1.1
- All new high end Enclosure/Case included, with built in back-lit indication LEDs
- Dimensions 171mm (mounting flange included) x 80mm x 36.4mm
- Muscle & Brains boards stacked configuration
- Easy V-Slot compatible Mounting
- Well planned locations of all connectors to allow for logical cable management
- OpenBuilds CONTROL for easy setup and configuration
Product license information available here
Although I’ve not tried controlling anything with this yet, I’m looking forward to it.
Simple connections for components, I just gotta build myself a cnc now.
Very happy with their customer service and Parts department
This is the easiest solution to hobby CNC. Setup was about an hour with OB Control software. I set up a XYZ touch probe and it worked perfectly right after setting it up. I don’t know what else to say but do yourself a favor and buy the BlackBox!
I had grown frustrated with the Smoothieboard on my Openbuilds OX and this looked like a good solution. Right off the bat, I was sold on the Openbuilds control software, so I pulled the trigger on this.
There are a lot of comments about having to assemble this. Right. That's a good thing! Assembling this was very satisfying. If you can operate the pause function on YouTube, you'll have it together in a jiffy.
I spent more time on cable management that I did setting up and configuring this device. If you use the OpenBuilds control software, it will walk you through the GRBL configuration. Specifically, if you use OpenBuilds parts, it will calculate the steps/mm.
My only negative is setting the current potentiometers. It's an easy enough process, just a bit of tinkering to get it right and not miss steps.
If I could change one thing, it would be to extend the mounting holes so they're not so close to the connectors.
Definitely worth the purchase. For a DIY project, it's highly plug and play!
First let me start by saying Great Job Open Builds this little beast is Amazing and I recommend anyone who is interested in any motion control be it 3D printer or CNC to get one of theses little black box. That being said this motion controller is well made , well thought out , and carefully constructed . You will get your moneys worth ! The video to assemble was a bit fast but nothing a simple pause cant handle. The outer case is made out of aluminum i'm very impressed with this best construction iv ever seen . easy assembly take your time can be done in less than five min. One again Great Job Open Builds keep up the great work! And just maybe you guys could build a new Black Box only maybe a 5 access ;).
Thanks for the Amazing stuff you guys provide ..
and don't forget the stickers WE love stickers ;)