Shipping, Billing & Returns
How Long Does Shipping Take?
Packages leave our NJ warehouse (USA) usually within 1-2 days. If you need your order for a specific time/event, please submit an Urgent Shipping Request (click on Contact Us in the FAQ section) and we'll do the best we can to expedite your order.
Please keep in mind, we don’t require delivery signatures on most orders and we are unable to deliver at a certain time, call before delivery or leave your package at specific location at your address (i.e. leave on side porch, etc.).
If You Live in the US
We currently ship orders a couple of different ways.
- USPS Priority Mail: When USPS is selected at checkout, we will ship your order Priority Mail. Estimated Arrival Time is 1-3 days with delivery confirmation.
- USPS Express Mail: Available only by request. Estimated Arrival Time is 1-2 days. While this option is usually less expensive than an overnight package through UPS, it is not recommended due to later than expected delivery times.
- Fedex: When Fedex is selected at checkout, your order will ship via ground or home delivery. Delivery times are 1-5 days, depending on your location.
- Fedex Express: Available only by request. Estimated Arrival Time is 1-2 days. This is a more expensive option but one you may want to consider if delivery of your order is urgent.
If You Live Elsewhere
- Fedex Economy: Affordable carrier shipping. Delivery times vary from 3-8 business days.
- Fedex Priority: Delivery times are faster than Fedex Economy and usually faster than USPS International Priority Mail as well. Electronics customs filing is performed, when possible, which also contributes to the quicker delivery times. This is a great options and one we recommend.
- USPS International Priority Mail*: Most packages ship using this method as it is usually the most cost effective method of shipping packages over 4lbs. Estimated Arrival time is 6-10 days (barring any unforeseen customs delays).
- *Package Length & Weight Restrictions - some countries limit the size and/or weight that we can ship. We can ship multiple packages if the restriction is due to weight. However, if the restriction is due to the length we do what we can to find another carrier that can ship the longer length packages. Additional shipping charges may be imposed. You can check the restrictions for your country by hovering over "Individual Country Listings" and finding your country here: http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/ab_001.htm#ep8776287
- USPS International First Class: for packages you don’t mind waiting for. This is a much less expensive shipping method but with it comes a slower delivery time. Estimated Arrival Time is 2-6 weeks.
Weight limit is 4lbs. (including packaging) and a maximum of 24” long.
Please choose this option at your own risk. About 2% of these packages get lost. The other 98% arrive just fine. We can no longer take responsibility for packages lost in the mail or delivered very slowly using this shipping method.
Tracking is not available for this shipping method.
- USPS.com Priority Mail Tracking Issues - USPS.com claims to provide tracking for international Priority Mail shipments. However, the tracking system, often times, does not provide updated information. Your package may appear "stuck" in one location (often Jamaica, New York) but this is not actually the case. If your tracking information shows your package as having been picked up, it is on its way regardless of the information provided by USPS.com tracking.
- Due to length and weight restrictions imposed by other shipping carriers, this method may be used and additional charges may be required.
- Are VAT/Duty Fees included? The OpenBuilds Part Store collects for the Parts your order and actual shipping costs only. We are not aware of or involved with any VAT/Duties/Fees that may be imposed by your country. Any charges/bills you may receive are from based on your countries rules and regulations and questions should be directed to them.
You may return most new, unopened items within 30 days of delivery for a full refund.
You should expect to receive your refund within four weeks of giving your package to the return shipper, however, in many cases you will receive a refund quicker. This time period includes the transit time for us to receive your return from the shipper (5 to 10 business days), the time it takes us to process your return once we receive it (3 to 5 business days), and the time it takes your bank to process our refund request (5 to 10 business days).
If you need to return an item, simply login to your account, view the order using the "Complete Orders" link under the My Account menu and click the Return Item(s) button. We'll notify you via e-mail of your refund once we've received and processed the returned item.
What forms of payment methods does OpenBuilds Part Store accept?
OpenBuilds Part Store accepts all major credit cards as well as PayPal and Purchase Orders (are considered).