BlackBox Motion Control System
Welcome to the future in CNC machine control. Our all-in-one plug and play OpenBuilds BlackBox Motion Control System is revolutionizing CNC.
CNC Routers, Plasma Cutters, Laser Cutters or any other CNC Machine – the BlackBox will handle the job thanks to its multiple connection options. The OpenBuilds Xtension Wiring EcoSystem makes it super easy to connect with any tool head without comprising on security thanks to our multiple limit switches.
What is Included
- (1) Muscle Board (4X Stepper Drivers)
- (1) Brains Board (CPU)
- (6) BlackBox Panels
- (1) 60mm 24v Cooling Fan
- (2) Cooling Heatsinks for Drivers
- (1) Switch Cap
- Xtension Connectors
- Assembly Hardware Set
- Pair with a Genuine MeanWell Power Supply to ensure proper voltage is applied at all times.
- 10 Amp Input Power Fuse
- Configurable Relay for generic use cases (Plasma trigger, Coolant Pumps, Spindle control, etc )
- Door Interlock signal connector to allow machines with enclosures to pause/resume when the door opens/closes
- 4X High Powered 4.0A (peak) Stepper Drivers
- Auxiliary Serial Input for alternative connectivity expansion
- USB Interface for Plug and Play
- Up to 24v 5A switched output for coolant devices such as 24v DC pumps, solenoids, contactors, or Solid State Relays
- Input Power Polarity protection with indicator LED
- 5v PWM and 5v Direction Spindle Signals
- 0-10v Analog Spindle Control Signal Output for VFD Spindles
- Plug and Play easy connectors that work directly with the OpenBuilds Xtension wiring ecosystem
- 3 x Endstop inputs with optional power output (Selectable 5v/24v) for use with mechanical or powered
switches such as Inductive sensor
- Endstop inputs are protected against high voltages to allow for use of 24v Inductive Sensors
- XYZ Probe input
- Slave Axis configurable as a slave X, Y or Z
- Up to 1/32 Micro stepping (Defaulted to 1/8 for higher Torque)
- Easily reachable Current Adjustment Potentiometers
- Power Switch (no more reaching for the power strip or unplugging)
- Built in cooling solution/through airflow design
- Powered by ATmega328p 8 bit Microcontroller running Grbl 1.1
- All new high end Enclosure/Case included, with built in back-lit indication LEDs
- Dimensions 171mm (mounting flange included) x 80mm x 36.4mm
- Muscle & Brains boards stacked configuration
- Easy V-Slot compatible Mounting
- Well planned locations of all connectors to allow for logical cable management
- OpenBuilds CONTROL for easy setup and configuration
Product license information available here
Al I like it because it is all in one and you can save space on the machine, keep making more products and always give good customer service.
I am very happy with the BlackBox Motion Control System. It was easy to assemble and setup for my ACRO based laser engraver. The steppers run smoothly and quietly, and the firmware is easy to flash and configure using the OpenBuilds CONTROL software.
I generally do not leave reviews, but decided to make an exception. I built my C-Beam XL in December of 2016 and used several control systems along the way. I decided to upgrade to the Blackbox controller after after years of frustration with "spit and baling wire" solutions (trying to save some hobby dollars). I'm sure I've spent well over the cost of 2 Blackbox controllers in the various configurations I've tried. Great job OpenBuilds! No wonder it's sold out so often.
I purchased the BlackBox to replace a Smoothieboard on my OX CNC. It was a simple replacement and the software was simple as well.
The only issues I had was that the X-motor driver was not functioning. OpenBuilds sent a replacement out right away. The replacement had its own issues where I couldn’t connect to it using the USB. I tried the Brains board from the first kit and paired it with the muscle board from the replacement kit and everything is working fine now.
My set up is using X, Y, and Z limit switches, X, Y, Y2, and Z motor drivers, a 400W spindle, a J Tech 2.8W laser, and Z probe.
Normally, the issues I had would drop the rating by 1 star BUT OpenBuilds went out of their way to help me get up and running and all around the Christmas holiday. Easily a 5-star operation due to customer service and the ease of plug and play with the BlackBox. If I start another project, the BlackBox will be an easy choice as the controller.
The Blackbox motion control system just works when several other devices have caused me much grief. I am new to CNC and had almost given up on my project Thank you Openbuilds team