BlackBox Motion Control System
Welcome to the future in CNC machine control. Our all-in-one plug and play OpenBuilds BlackBox Motion Control System is revolutionizing CNC.
CNC Routers, Plasma Cutters, Laser Cutters or any other CNC Machine – the BlackBox will handle the job thanks to its multiple connection options. The OpenBuilds Xtension Wiring EcoSystem makes it super easy to connect with any tool head without comprising on security thanks to our multiple limit switches.
What is Included
- (1) Muscle Board (4X Stepper Drivers)
- (1) Brains Board (CPU)
- (6) BlackBox Panels
- (1) 60mm 24v Cooling Fan
- (2) Cooling Heatsinks for Drivers
- (1) Switch Cap
- Xtension Connectors
- Assembly Hardware Set
- Pair with a Genuine MeanWell Power Supply to ensure proper voltage is applied at all times.
- 10 Amp Input Power Fuse
- Configurable Relay for generic use cases (Plasma trigger, Coolant Pumps, Spindle control, etc )
- Door Interlock signal connector to allow machines with enclosures to pause/resume when the door opens/closes
- 4X High Powered 4.0A (peak) Stepper Drivers
- Auxiliary Serial Input for alternative connectivity expansion
- USB Interface for Plug and Play
- Up to 24v 5A switched output for coolant devices such as 24v DC pumps, solenoids, contactors, or Solid State Relays
- Input Power Polarity protection with indicator LED
- 5v PWM and 5v Direction Spindle Signals
- 0-10v Analog Spindle Control Signal Output for VFD Spindles
- Plug and Play easy connectors that work directly with the OpenBuilds Xtension wiring ecosystem
- 3 x Endstop inputs with optional power output (Selectable 5v/24v) for use with mechanical or powered
switches such as Inductive sensor
- Endstop inputs are protected against high voltages to allow for use of 24v Inductive Sensors
- XYZ Probe input
- Slave Axis configurable as a slave X, Y or Z
- Up to 1/32 Micro stepping (Defaulted to 1/8 for higher Torque)
- Easily reachable Current Adjustment Potentiometers
- Power Switch (no more reaching for the power strip or unplugging)
- Built in cooling solution/through airflow design
- Powered by ATmega328p 8 bit Microcontroller running Grbl 1.1
- All new high end Enclosure/Case included, with built in back-lit indication LEDs
- Dimensions 171mm (mounting flange included) x 80mm x 36.4mm
- Muscle & Brains boards stacked configuration
- Easy V-Slot compatible Mounting
- Well planned locations of all connectors to allow for logical cable management
- OpenBuilds CONTROL for easy setup and configuration
Product license information available here
I haven't actually used the BlackBox to drive anything yet, but I got it to drive a CNC mill I'm planning to build in the next few months. This basically comes as a kit, but the assembly process itself was quite a bit of fun. It seems well made, and I'm certainly hopeful that it performs as I'm expecting it to.
The Blackbox replaced a TinyG controller running with Chilipepr which needs internet connectivity. One of my shops is located in the sticks without internet and this seemed like an affordable option. I grabbed the Blackbox on sale. It went together without a hitch and fired right up. The only headache I ran into was trying to mount it in a small terminal box. It would be nice if the mounting holes were located on the sides instead of the ends, but no big deal. Thanks for an affordable all in one unit that works.
Although I’ve not tried controlling anything with this yet, I’m looking forward to it.
Simple connections for components, I just gotta build myself a cnc now.
Very happy with their customer service and Parts department
This is the easiest solution to hobby CNC. Setup was about an hour with OB Control software. I set up a XYZ touch probe and it worked perfectly right after setting it up. I don’t know what else to say but do yourself a favor and buy the BlackBox!