OpenBuilds ACRO 55 20" x 20"
The OpenBuilds ACRO System
The OpenBuilds ACRO System was developed to be the most accurate and cost effective positioning system in its class.
OpenBuild's V-Slot system was incorporated and, therefore, the ACRO System has the unique ability to expand to multiple sizes creating a size configuration custom to your needs. Choose the size that best fits your workshop.
What can you do with an ACRO system?
The ACRO is an extremely versatile modular system that allows for precise positioning of many different mountable tools and attachments.
OpenBuilds ACRO System Specs:
- 4.5 micron resolution - 30% higher resolution than systems in its class
- Z Axis Travel 70mm - (2-3/4") manual adjustable Z axis length
- Available in Industrial Black or Sleek Silver
- Attachment Plate includes mounting holes for multiple attachments & tools
- Quick assembly time
- Mechanical Parts
- Option: (3) NEMA 17 Stepper Motors
- Option: (1) 24V Power Supply
- Option: (1) xPRO Driver Board
- Option: (1) Balldriver Screw Driver Set
Assembly Instructions, More Details & Support:
Laser Diodes can be attached to the ACRO system mounting plate!
Laser Diode (Not Included):
- Please note: There are lot of great choices when it comes to laser diodes so be sure to pick the right one for your application. Power choice is important as well as making sure your diode supports PWM.
The ACRO Diode Mounting Plate hole pattern is designed to accommodate many available diodes. If the diode you choose has a different mounting pattern you can easily drill holes in the acrylic to mount.
Always wear laser eye protection & take all necessary safety precautions.
Software Work Flow:
Design - Tool Path - Control
- LaserWeb Software (can also control milling machines, draw bots, etc.)
- Please note: There are many different options for software packages that can be used for design and control
AFFORDABLE - OpenBuilds budget friendly parts allow Builders the opportunity to freely create.â€‹
EASY TO BUILD - With the V-Slot Modular Framing System and OpenBuilds Build-Along Videos, assembly is quick and easy.
OPEN SOURCE - The Builder community is encouraged to modify and build on this design.â€‹ We are excited to see what you attach to your ACRO System and the things that you make!
CUSTOMIZATION - Take it to the next level and make it your own! Share your builds with the Open Source Builders community OpenBuilds.comâ€‹
OpenBuilds Part CAD Models and Drawings
The kit came with an inventory sheet, which was accurate, and the packaging was more than adequate to protect the components during transit. While there were no instructions included, a bit of searching on the OpenBuilds website produced an assembly video.
Assembly was fairly easy. Allen wrenches were provided, but you needed to provide your own Philips #2 screwdriver and 8 mm wrench.
Everything went together easily except for the grub screw/tee nut combination used to secure the timing belts in the rails--these jammed so that they could not secure the belt, and rounded the corners on the 2.5 mm wrench. The same tee nuts easily threaded over the other 5 mm screws, and the grub screws easily worked with the double tee nuts, so the problem was not major nor obvious. The only problem this caused was a delay in assembly to overcome this issue.
Overall, this kit is a fine platform for any machine that doesn't require much motion in the Z-direction.
Kit was well packed and labeled and seemed high quality. I followed an on-line video and assembly was smooth. But I expected aluminum plates and eccentric spacers and instead it has acrylic plates with cruder adjustments on the wheels. I was hoping to use this in a higher temperature partial enclosure and the acrylic worries me. Still it was a good value for the $ since it was on sale.